collections / business card round up #1:

November 20, 2009


business cards are such an important element in your business. you have 3.5 x 2 inches of space to make an impact. (well, not limited to that size!) ;) i asked 2 designers whose work speaks for itself: they know their design. ellie from mint + whitney from darling dexter: both amazing blogs full of daily inspiration. i asked them 2 simple questions: 1) the importance of a good business card + 2) how to design a good card!

read on :)

importance of a good business card:
whitney from darling dexter gave us her thoughts about the importance of a good business card: In this day, it's one of the last physical artifacts that you can give a potential client. Everything has moved online which can often get lost -- so to have a card available is crucial. Due to the size, it's generally something that can easily be stored so the chances of it being tossed are pretty slim. Most importantly, it's a great way to inform and remind a potential client of your who you are and direct them to your online presence.

ellie, mint design blog says: When you're trying to make a potential business connection, your card is the first "window" into who you are. A memorable card can make the difference between staying in someone's wallet or ending up in the trash! I don't think you need to spend a lot of money on cards necessarily, but a well-designed or unique card says a lot about who you are as a professional.

here are some lovely card designs for your inspiration:


100 layer cake. +


brckt.com +


michael b kenyon
source from here


the darling room


ellen jackson +


element +


francesca pasini +


creativesuitcase.com +


butter label +



grace bonney +


amelia lyon +


sassen design +


AIGA Knoxville +


Emerson Taymor +


lena corwin + (found via paper pastries )


somace design +

advice on achieving a well-designed business card:
ellie, mint says:
Definitely seek out a pro! Designers have training in typography, and even the simplest card deserves thought and attention by a professional. If you can't afford a designer, I'd recommend buying a well-designed template or going the completely creative route. (Moo has a great collection of templates for those on a tight budget). If you're an artist and don't need to hand out hundreds of cards, maybe a collaged or hand-stamped card is the way to go!

whitney, darling dexter says:
Definitely think outside of the box. There are so many templates out there to quickly get a business card made but they don't set you apart. Head to your local library or bookstore and see if there is a graphic design section. Usually there are great books on business card design as well as for other materials you might need for your business. It is such a small piece of paper (maybe paper? who knows the materials that could be used!) but it has to represent what your business is all about. Don't settle. This is an opportunity to grab attention, so pay special attention to detail and spend some time crafting the perfect card.

thank you for taking the time to offer us some professional advice ladies!

more business card posts for lots more inspiration:
903 business card photos available to view at daily poetics! they are all so creative. and some other places to gather even more business card inspiration: cool business cards from creativebits.org, 100 really creative cards from webdesignerdepot.com. 54 unique cards from reencoded.com. hand stamped business cards from paper pastries, and eco-inspired business cards from greenwala. yep, tons of inspiration and creativity out there.

happy friday dear friends! xo.

52 hello's:

  1. huge fan of the sassen design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fun and creative post! Love all of the unique takes on a standard business card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome post! each card is like a little piece of art. i'd love to collect them :) my business card is corporate and drab. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love the cards from Francesca Pasini.

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent post, and very informative! love grace bonny!!


    xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wuaaah, thanks for sharing. Some business cards are really really great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing all of these lovely designs! Very inspiring! These are all fantastic examples of making a lasting impression.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the uniqueness of the post.... Very thrilling & different.... Loved the tempering of creativity on the otherwise boring Business Cards...

    That surely inspires me to get one creatively made... & when I do, I would not only post but link back to this post too.... Take Care...

    Ash....
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh these are great! I'm working on my portfolio, so this is great inspo. I went to the Senior show last year at the Cleveland Institute of Art and one of the designers (I think it was interior design) has a business card that actually folded into a chair. It was awesome! And really memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very inspiring!!! i love the ET one...so cute and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love theme! Julia and Ellen Lupton have a book called DIY Design (Pretty sure that's the title). They have a few interesting takings on business cards as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. pulled out my business card to give to someone today and thot....i totally want new business cards...thanks for the inspiring post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks d. good timing i was needing to do this

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never seen business cards so amazing!! I want them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I love the ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a great post!
    These are all so amazing and being a fellow designer myself, it is always fun to come up with something better for each client.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a great post!
    These are all so amazing and being a fellow designer myself, it is always fun to come up with something better for each client.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love The Darling Room's business card!

    Maybe I should get a card myself? ;) Don't know who would be interested in my business card though... :)
    But it's a great idea to have a creative card with your name and number to give to potential new friends! :)

    Mausumi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for such a fun, helpful, and timely post. I'm in the midst of trying to design my new business cards and loved these bits of inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great post! I'm currently designing a business card for myself so it's perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post!
    I totally agree - the business card is one of our most powerful business tools.
    Thanks for sharing.
    xCharlotta

    ReplyDelete
  22. how inspiring, i want a beautiful business card now [i'd have to be in business to do that, but yeh still :P]

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are really great cards, although I tend to really love designs that are legible and easy to keep/stash in a wallet or rolodex or on my bulletin board. Love amelia lyon, ellen jackson, and the darling room cards. So artistic and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. love a good business card -- these are all great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. hello my dear!! I adore this post! these cards are fantastic. I need new cards for my new life, and these give me lots of inspiration....hope you had a lovely weekend.

    xxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are all really swell. What's the one with the plants in it? I couldn't quite see what that one was about but am curious.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These cards are amazing... However, most of them cost a fortune to have printed, dye cut, assembled, etc.

    The only cards that look affordable for the average joe are sassen and lena corwin cards. They only have a bleed.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, my. This is amazingly inspiring!! :) I think Emerson's pop-up card is my fave. But I love them all to bits!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful cards!


    Lovely blog!

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great collection of cards...the one with the guy pop up, soooooo CREATIVE!

    Jen Ramos
    'Cards & Prints You'll Love...'
    www.madebygirl.com
    madebygirl.blogspot.com
    --

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey ! I just discover your blog and I LOVE IT !
    You're now in my fav's and I'll visit it everyday...

    ReplyDelete
  32. oh my gosh! these are beautiful! lovely lovely lovely...it makes me want to be a professional, just so that i can have pretty business cards!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful post! As someone who just opened her own online eco-friendly boutique and entered the world of entrepreneurship,
    this kind of information is so valuable! I look forward to taking a look through all the resources you linked to and getting inspired!
    And, if you want... you can check out my shop at www.kindboutique.com.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, you're too sweet Dani! You should have added yours to the list! ;)

    I've always loved the Darling Room card designed by my friend Lindsay. The actual card is about 1 1/2 x 2 inches in size = darling!

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  36. i am partial to the darling room because that is my bestie's business card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. oh wow!! i love the fabric cards! so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  38. ok NOW I'm officially addicted to your blog!!!


    Vania
    SimplyBloom Photography, LLC

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for cards. Visit also www.cardonizer.com for inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great Collection. I would much rather have a sustainably produced Business Card than a cheap piece of plastic that requires me to replace batteries. Besides the MOST important part of the business card is not just the contact details but the graphic way in which they are conveyed.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Awesome and fantastic designs. I too looking for these types of beautiful Business card designs for my business. Thanks for presenting it here.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Al the business cards posted here are really lovely! If you ever decide to make a post like this again, check out my blog!

    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  44. The Sassen card is really cool. My question would be "Which came first, the stamp or the card?"

    ReplyDelete
  45. i am happy to find it thanks for sharing it here. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  46. hi! wow the emerson card is superb and what a blog i really like!

    Clear business cards

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a beautiful cards. The textures and special interests make a wonderful and very inspirational card.

    Membership card printing

    ReplyDelete
  48. Simply amazing set of business cards!All the concepts of these inspiring designs are new and fresh for me..THUMBS UP!!! Website Template

    ReplyDelete
  49. I have been visiting various blogs for Plastic card Printing . I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards

    ReplyDelete

Friends, Thank you so much for reading + supporting my blog, and for taking the time to leave me a comment. Your comment support truly means so much to me. Have a lovely day! xo, danni