2010 lovely package exchange:

February 9, 2010

( package exchange )
hi friends! i've been getting quite a few emails about a lovely package exchange so i thought i should make an announcement. another exchange is coming very soon! in the meantime, i wanted to get some of your feedback for those of you who participated in the last exchange as well as any feedback for the 2010 exchange!

if you participated in the last exchange: please comment with your thoughts about the last exchange, ideas to make the exchange better, complaints, anything!

some things i am considering for the next exchange:

- only allowing bloggers/shop owners to participate, to help to filter out people who don't intend to send a package.
- a 300 person limit in the exchange (last time there were over 250)

if anyone has any online websites that will randomly match partners for a swap/exchange, please let me know about them! (one suggestion i received is elfster.com) i think that will make it a lot easier instead of how i partnered everyone individually like last time.

note :: for those of you who did not receive a package, please be sure email me or comment with your partner's name and/or website (if they had one) so i can make sure to not include them in the next exchange if they try to sign up again.

(image by: inthisistance on flickr)

99 hello's:

  1. I did not participate in your package exchange last time but would love to this time. I have a blog but am working on launching a new one very soon. But I did participate in a package exchange this holiday season and I sent out my package on time and never received a package in return (the deadline was the end of the year) but last week - for Valentines day I got my package - with an apology note for being so late. I guess what I am saying, i was very bummed for not getting my package during the holidays but loved getting one around valentines day. Better late than never. So if you can try and I know that is almost impossible - to ensure those that didn't send a package last time not participate that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOOOOOO excited!! I just missed it last year. I did enjoy seeing the swaps. I will be watching the dates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh..I did not participate last year but would like to this time. I am looking forward to updates. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED the exchange last year! I made a new bloggy friend in the process. So much fun!
    I suggest Elfster as well. Its completely automated and doesn't require users to post all of their information in your comments

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about previous shop owners? I sent a package last time (about a week late as I was moving), but had to shut down my shop due to school.

    Loved everything I received last time! Can't wait for round two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just have to comment to say how much it made me grin to see my photo in this post :)

    Thank you for hosting these swaps as they are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like so much fun! I would love to do this! I actually joined a Valentine swap that Weddingbee had last year (and this year) using http://www.swap-bot.com/ Maybe something to look into for this one. Hope you're having a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I would love to participate this year! What a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had such a lovely experience last time! My partner was PERFECT! And the overall experience was extremely fun. I probably won't be able to participate again because of my busy schedule, but I'm so glad I did it once!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not participate in your swap last time but I just did a Valentine's Day swap at another blog site and I loved it! It was so much fun to find gifts for someone else. I love doing that! I would love to participate in the next swap you have! It's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would love to take part in this.
    Just took part in Se'Lah's *gift of jewels* it was really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed the cutoff date last time, but I'm really looking forward to the next exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i wasnt involved last time but i would LOVE to be this time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't participate in the last one because I didn't know about it, but I saw the pictures and it looked FANTASTIC! I can't wait to participate in this upcoming one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I very much enjoyed participating last time, Danni, and I will keep my eagle eye out to be sure I make it on the list of 300 this time, too!

    I am SO sad to hear that some people didn't come through with their promise to send a package, especially if they ended up actually receiving one themselves. That is so unfortunate.

    I would suggest stating something like you did last year about a min/maximum that should be spent on the actual items that are packaged, prior to the cost of the packaging itself, and prior to the shipping. I think last time you said $30, but people seemed confused as to what exactly that meant. I know that I was moderately wondering, "does she mean the actual items themselves, or altogether with wrapping and shipping, or what???"

    I loved that you had us list our favorite shops and everything to pair us up, but I don't think that should be necessary, so long as people do get matched up with somebody, they can always share that sort of information via email later. It will help in the "get to know a new person" side of this exchange that is so neat.

    And if a person ends up shopping from a store they wouldn't normally find themselves in, well, maybe it will be an eye opening and enlightening experience for them :)

    Blessings, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. aww i remember reading about your package exchanges in an older post of yours. i'd love to be able to participate in this upcoming exchange. i'll be on the look out for this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! This sounds like so much fun! I so hope to participate :)

    I was a part of an interview swap with a group I belong to and we used elfster to make matches, the confusing part was that some of us assumed that we were to swap with person we were matched with, however that was not the case and caused a bit of confusion. Just thought you might want to get some details on that part. I hope that made sense ??

    -Gina

    ReplyDelete
  18. yay, im very excited, I participated last Summer and it was a success ...
    I will definitely participate again, great way to make other creative heads in our world ! it's more personal when receiving a package, the overall feel is great...may be we can try to choose among our partners by a deadline, and if it isn't chosen then have it chosen for us? super excited..

    ReplyDelete
  19. sorry *meet others....(not make)

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooo...sounds fun! I'd love to participate this year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I *loved* this! I respect wanting to have some accountability, but one of my partners did not have a blog or website (she was the daughter of a film-industry person, whose business had a website) -- but my swap partner sent the most splendid package! It's tough to make rules because there's always exceptions, but I just wanted to throw out that my experience couldn't have been more fantastic. I actually felt guilty because the non-blogger/site partner sent a package that was a gazillion times better than mine :D But perhaps I was just lucky :)

    Feedback: I liked the $ guidelines and interests, but might break out interests and "collections," also? Maybe include a section that says, "Describe yourself in 5 adjectives" and/or "What makes you happiest?" That would help me in putting together a package, too -- the store links section was a great idea, but some listed didn't help too much in narrowing down my list :D Thanks, Danni, it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to participate again. I had 2 partners last time, and there were unfortunately some problems with both of them. 1 sent her package about 4 weeks late (which would have been ok, had she told me she was going to do that), and the other one spent no more than $10 total, including packaging.

    I still had a great time picking things for them, though, and definitely want to participate again, if I may.

    Elfster is great because you have wishlists with things you like easily accessible to your buddy, and it does all the matching up buddies for you. I've participated in an elfster exchange this past holiday season, and it was so much fun!

    Can't wait for the next lovely package exchange. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Swap-Bot (http://www.swap-bot.com/) is a good service and it's free, but participants must follow directions in order to be included. It's a two part sign up process, but once it's done, everything is set up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved the exchange last time! Lindsey from Greatfull Day was my partner, and it was such a great experience!

    There were some people who did't send a package? That's sooo frustrating. In my swaps there were a three people who didn't send out anything, but I had made up some extra goodies to send out in the case that this would happen. It's annoying, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Um, I'm not sure if my last comment went through, but I wrote to say I would be interested in participating! I have an active vintage shop on etsy at www.thedootdootstore.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I participated in the last exchange and had a blast creating the packages! I understand your desire to have shop owners/bloggers only, but I would like to discourage just filling the package with your product. To me, the whole idea of the exchange is to get to know another person and enjoy creating something special for them, and product placement can feel rather cold.

    I also thought the shop listing wasn't particularly helpful though I did find some new shops to explore :) One idea I'd like to propose is having each participant create a short questionnaire for their swap-mates about likes/dislikes/hobbies/lifestyle etc. I think it would encourage more creativity and provide further opportunity to get to know your swap-mates.

    Overall I had a great experience with the last swap and hope to participate in the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would love to participate in the swap! I've used Elfster for other exchanges in the past and it seemed to work well.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ciao Wanderful Blog!!!!!!
    KISSES :)
    DANIELA da MILANO ITALY

    ReplyDelete
  29. I participated last year, and it was a wonderful experience. I just had a blast. I would say that if you are worried about non-swappers then I would go by blogs and stores, and maybe even if they participated last year? (she says cause she doesn't have a blog or a shop and would be distressed to not get involved this year)

    ReplyDelete
  30. how exciting! I would love to participate this time, I love making packages and gifts :)

    look forward to hearing more!!

    http://abigailstreasure.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. i did participate in the package exchange last time and had a great time. my partner and i exchanged emails about the packages and everything worked out really well. I can't wait for #2!

    ReplyDelete
  32. i missed the last swap and it looked like so much fun! i would love to join this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would love to participate, even though I don't have a blog or shop...funny how work and life gets in the way of the things you'd like to do...

    ReplyDelete
  34. I LOVED playing last time. Thank you for hostessing again!!! I would love to play this time. I agree with some of the previous comments about adding more questions/interests to fill out. It may make it more interesting and easier to find goodies for our partners :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, finally I can comment!

    Anyway, I only started following this blog (and many others) for a few months, and although I have caught up to the beginning, I'm still not entirely clear what a package exchange is all about!

    It sounds expensive, but mail is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have seen posts referring to the package exchange but started following your blog "post-exchange". Would love to learn more details of the 2010 package exchange as well as participate in the exchange this time around. Sounds like great fun and a wonderful way to meet fellow artists and get to know their work! I have an active blog and etsy shop (www.rockpapersilver.etsy.com).

    ReplyDelete
  37. I didn't participate last year. I've watching the blog to see when the next one will be. I want to get my foot, or two feet perhaps in the door this time and do some pretty swap-age. I have a blog and a flickr and an etsy shoppe, and lots of msc. acct.'s. You know me from those tasty trades and know that I love a good barter. ;)
    I like the idea of having accountability and guidelines. The idea of having likes and dislikes lists is also appealing, when composing a parcel I love to know something about the other persons tastes. I'll be looking forward to the details. ;) :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello, please count me in for the upcoming one.
    Thank you

    Jo
    www.lovestamp.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hola! I would love to participate in your lovely package exchange, please count me in! (tamarindopaperco.etsy.com)

    ReplyDelete
  40. This sounds like tons of fun. I want to play!

    Amber
    acrudele.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just found your blog.. went through ALL your older post!! lol
    took a longg time but is was sooo worht it! gift giving and pretty packaging are my thing!! Its like everything in my head ..you Done it!! LOVE IT!! :)

    Cant wait to do the lovely package exchange !

    Congratulations on your engagement.. May the Lord bless you and keep you both :)
    He has Great Plans for the both of you.
    Your new Follower and Fan
    ~*~Keren~*~

    ReplyDelete
  42. I used to do swaps on swap-bot, and I certainly had a few bum partners! And really lame $1 "gifts." I hope you didn't have too many bums last year. Sounds like such fun - as long as everyone plays nice.

    I once had a partner leave my package in her jeep for three weeks, thinking she mailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. loved it.
    just need to make sure to only have one partner. it tends to get a little bit of a stresser.
    would love to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I would love to participate in a package exchange. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I would LOVE to do the package exchange, but I do not have a shop or blog...I PROMISE to send a package. Please don't exclude the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  46. It sounds like such a lovely idea, I missed last year's but would love to take part this time. x

    ReplyDelete
  47. hello!
    i participated in te last year's exchange and loved it.one thing i didn't do ,though, was posting photos of the package received on the flickr group specially created for the exchange...
    have a lovely day:)

    ReplyDelete
  48. i would LOVE to participate!!
    i send packages like no other. :)
    [cocoagreen23.blogspot.com]

    ReplyDelete
  49. i! can't! wait! for! this!

    totally wish you were selling at the food truck/craft fair this weekend! have fun at your conference! if you have a sec we should grab coffee/tea!

    j.
    postscript.
    having a giveaway featuring some of my friends on my blog that i'd think you'd like! stop by love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. aw i didn't participate in the exchange last time but i would love to this time!!
    elfster is nice, i used it for a secret santa exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I have been anxiously awaiting this. I am dying to participate this year.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I have been anxiously awaiting this. I am dying to participate this year.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I would love to do it again! Last time my partner and I had some delays but we communicated continuously about it and it worked out really well - I think we both enjoyed it and were a little overwhelmed with what we received. (She doesn't have a website or shop.)

    Perhaps there could be more lifestyle and interest questions - it was great last time but especially for international participants the 'favorite shop' list is a little impractical. At least for buying that is - maybe it's helpful in seeing what kind of things they like.

    Thank you so much for being willing to put it on again! It's wonderful and we all really appreciate it =)
    love,
    Cait

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh!! This sounds like such lovely fun!! Being ignorant of the last exchange, of course I did not participate--but I'll be one of the cutthroat few trying to make the list for the next one.
    What a beautiful idea!
    -K

    ReplyDelete
  55. Oh!! This sounds like such lovely fun!! Being ignorant of the last exchange, of course I did not participate--but I'll be one of the cutthroat few trying to make the list for the next one.
    What a beautiful idea!
    -K

    ReplyDelete
  56. Oh!! This sounds like such lovely fun!! Being ignorant of the last exchange, of course I did not participate--but I'll be one of the cutthroat few trying to make the list for the next one.
    What a beautiful idea!
    -K

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hi! I'm a new blogger, but I would love to participate! I'm not sure if there's a pre-existing list I need to be on, but if there's room for me... this sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I didn't get to participate in your swap last year, but you inspired me to host my own swap! I had no idea it would be such a headache!! My heart goes out to anyone who puts something like this together. We had several people who received a package and didn't send one. I just kept sending friendly emails to all of them (that way, they didn't feel singled out), and I think we finally got all of those packages sent! Better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  59. i have used swap bot before and you can set certain criteria based on users past ratings while allowing newbies, something to think about, swould love to be included.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I loved the swap. My swap partner was overseas so it took a little while to get to me, but she put her special touch on everything.

    I think some type of small list with 4 to 6 categories, listing our likes and dislikes would be helpful. I joined a swap like this last year as well and it helped to personalize the gift to the person you were sending it to.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hi Danni!
    I just barely missed the package exchange last year and I was so sad. I think I flipped through the flickr stream two or three times because I just loved seeing what everyone got and how it was packaged (great inspiration!).

    I was thinking about something, and I don't even know if it is possible but...I loved the flickr stream where everyone's photos were together but I really loved finding the blogs and reading about the packages, what inspired them, how well they got to know their parnter, etc. I just thought it would be neat if there was like a "communal" blog where participants could guest blog about the exchange and there would be a whole lot of loveliness and writing all in one place? Just an idea.

    And I was wondering if there's any kind of guidelines, like is it required that we be willing to ship internationally? I just know sometimes that gets expensive and while I'm not sure that it would stop me from participating, its just something I was thinking about.

    Thanks, I'm so excited for this exchange! :)

    ReplyDelete
  62. just arrived here via the blogging mashup--the photos from the last swap look so wonderful! would love to participate in this one, I am http://gwen.etsy.com [just getting started!] and blog at http://ofrenda.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  63. question: what font is "please submit your feedback"??? I love it! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Oh, how I'd love to participate in this upcoming swap! I think that finding out about the last Lovely Package Exchange is how I discovered your blog...I've been waiting for this one ever since! I'm excited about it and hopefully I will be able to be a part of it :)!

    ReplyDelete
  65. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  66. We didn't participate last time but we would LOVE to be a part of it this time around! Looking forward to hearing more information!!

    jenn
    [jack + jenn]

    ReplyDelete
  67. Yay! This was a fun swap, and I'd love to participate again. I've also used swapbot (as a participant, not a host) and it was very simple to set up an account. Thanks for doing this again!

    ReplyDelete
  68. oh yes please! ive been eagerly looking out for another swap, i loved the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Oh, hello Friend! How excited am I right now? I just just missed outo last year's swap-a-thon as I only discovered your blog AFTER the time, but you can bet your sweet bottom I will be participating this year - if possible? Please? :o) I'm over in South Africa, have a blog and LOVE LOVE LOVE giving gifts. Hope to participate in the 2010 one! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  70. I loved the last package exchange and am going to watch eagerly to make sure that I make the cut of the 300. It is so kind of you to organize this. I hope that elfster makes your job easier.

    I'm pleased as punch that Tara's photo of my package to her made your post!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Would love to participate in the package exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  72. I am super excited about the 2010 package exchange! I love giving gifts and sending mail so this is the perfect little project. I participated in the last exchange and I received lovely things!!

    ReplyDelete
  73. i participated in the exchange last year and really enjoyed it. i can happily say that i still keep in touch with one of my partners. i am really grateful for all your effort + inspiration on this project for that reason alone. other suggestions: specific amount on gift would be great $30 including packaging, etc. + blogger community helpful (it was great to be able to garner ideas given what they've written) + hints were great but not necessary --i used them as starting points but tried to converse via email frequently in order to have dialogue. it was a great experience and hope i have the same opportunity again this time around. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  74. hi danni, i would love to do the package exchange again. my partner last time was amazing! i liked looking through the flickr pool to see what everyone was sending and receiving. i wonder if people have a preference between buying something or making something for their partners. either way, its been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  75. I'd love to participate this time, as I was so sad I couldn't last time.
    I'm in dear!

    <3
    Mila.

    ReplyDelete
  76. I did not participate last time but would love to this time! One site that I think could match for you by numbers is:www.secretsanta.com!

    Can't wait to be part of this!

    ReplyDelete
  77. I really enjoyed the package exchange! My gift was wrapped so beautifully and I loved seeing all the other packaging on the flickr group. I put a lot more thought into my gift wrapping since doing the lovely package exchange, to the point where people are commenting, "Gift wrapping is your thing."

    The only warning I would make about the exchange is that for international post, if you are sending anything heavy (like magazines, which both my partner and I included in our packages) the postage is expensive - about US$60-$70 for airmail between the US and Australia. (Even one magazine from Australia to the US is about AUD20, which is about US$18). I didn't mind this but I would hate for someone who is struggling financially to get a nasty surprise at the post office.

    ReplyDelete
  78. I did not participate last year, but I would love to this year. I own a small boutique in AZ and I belong to Swap-bot, where I am continuously involved in various mail exchanges. It is a wonderful way to meet new people from all over the USA and the world! Can't wait until this starts! *Sherri*

    ReplyDelete
  79. I did not participate last year, but I would love to this year. I own a small boutique in AZ and I belong to Swap-bot, where I am continuously involved in various mail exchanges. It is a wonderful way to meet new people from all over the USA and the world! Can't wait until this starts! *Sherri*

    ReplyDelete
  80. hooray! this is the best news of the day. loved how you did last year's and can't wait to participate and see more.

    i've never tried swapbot but i've heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
  81. hooray! this is the best news of the day. loved how you did last year's and can't wait to participate and see more.

    i've never tried swapbot but i've heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
  82. hooray! this is the best news of the day. loved how you did last year's and can't wait to participate and see more.

    i've never tried swapbot but i've heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
  83. I didn't get a chance to participate in the last one, as I wasn't following your (amazing) blog at the time, however I'd love to be able to take part in this one if possible; so will be keeping an eye on this for dates and details! x

    ReplyDelete
  84. I missed last years deadline and I was soooo sad! I just can't wait for the exchange this year!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  85. Hello from Singapore!

    Would love to participate in the next exchange! Sounds really exciting!

    I think allowing ACTIVE bloggers/shop owners only is a good idea to filter out pple who don't intend to send a package.

    ReplyDelete
  86. After I saw the post of your summer Package Exchange, I knew that I wanted to participate.

    Please let me know when and where to signup!

    Writing in from the Great White North!

    ReplyDelete
  87. I didn't participate last time, but I'd love to this time!

    I am active on swap-bot.com, which is a great site that will take care of matching people up.

    Thanks and let me know if I can join!

    katie
    kateandoli@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  88. i would love to be included! charligause@gmail.com
    charli rae gause

    ReplyDelete
  89. I would LOOOVE to be a part of the exchange this time around

    ReplyDelete
  90. Yay! Another package exchange:)
    The last one was so much fun! In fact I just recently received my package because me and my partner decided to swap a little later since that was more convenient for both of us:) I don't really have any complaints. I don't know about the others but I think you did a great job with pairing everyone. It was so funny when I sent a notebook and I received one, turned out me and my partner had really similar taste:)

    I am looking forward to the next swap! xo

    ReplyDelete
  91. I would love to be a part of the next swap- it is such a brilliant swap idea! Looking forward to getting the details. Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  92. I would love to be part of the next swap. I've done Swapbot swaps before. I have a sadly-neglected blog, but my excuse is I have a brand-new baby, too.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  93. Hello Danni-
    I am such fan of your lovely blog, although I don't comment as much as I should. I am what you would call a lurker! I was envious of your last package exhange and I do hope to participate in this year's. You are such a wonderful person to organize such an exciting opportunity!
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  94. looking forward to this exchange ^_^ since I missed the first one because I was very busy at the time, hopefully will get a nice sweet partner to play with!
    Can't Wait,Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  95. This sounds like great fun:
    Name: Joan Herlinger

    Website: (colorfling.blogspot.com
    Email Address:joanherlinger@earthlink.net

    Location: San Francisco, CA. My heart is in Paris though;)

    List top 5 favorite things: colored stuff, dogs and animals, vintage stuff, pattern, graphical kitchen items,

    5 words to describe you or your style: vintage, colorful,lots of shapes especially circles, bold patterns, vibrant

    Would you be open to being a group leader: maybe next time things are a bit crazy right now.

    Anything else you'd like to mention:
    thanks for organizing this:)

    ReplyDelete
  96. Pick me! Pick me!


    Name: Ann Beaver

    Website: (blog/shop/twitter) annbeaver.blogspot.com

    Email Address: ambearts@gmail.com

    Location: Berkeley, CA

    List top 5 favorite things: (things you may collect, your favorite shop, blogs, sites, etc)
    1. Color
    2. Hearts
    3. Ribbon
    4. This Blog
    5. Color me Katie blog

    5 words to describe you or your style:
    1. Indie
    2. Colorful
    3. Cute
    4. Organic
    5. Vintage

    Would you be open to being a group leader:
    No...next time though :3

    Anything else you'd like to mention:
    I'm doing this exact thing in my art class!

    ReplyDelete

Friends, Thank you so much for reading + supporting my blog, and for taking the time to leave me a comment. Your comment support truly means so much to me. Have a lovely day! xo, danni